The Lake Orion High School thespians attended the Michigan Educational Theatre Association’s (META) State Thespian Festival in Lansing over the weekend for the opportunity to attend workshops, audition for scholarships and present their art to professionals in the theatre industry.
Every year, thousands of students across the state attend the festival. Lake Orion had 38 students attend this year.
LOHS students Bryan Donoghue and Nicole Gursin both auditioned for college scholarships in acting and musical theatre. Additionally, Cassie Corea, Liam Mick and Alyssa Stump were offered academic scholarships.
Combined, the five students were offered $636,000 to attend several Michigan universities to study theatre.
Several other LOHS students earned recognition for the works they created from acting to technical theatre. The rating of Superior is the highest-ranking at this festival and allows some students the opportunity to pursue the National Festival in June.
• Abbigail Maisel- Excellent Rating- Stage Management
• Alexandria Davis- Excellent Rating- Solo Musical Theatre
• Emma Chamarro and Eirwen Koch- Excellent Rating- Duet Musical Theatre
• Grace Bunn – Superior Rating- Short Film
• Charlotte Johnston- Excellent Rating- Playwriting
• Ava Hawkins- Superior Rating- Solo Musical Theatre
• Nicole Gursin- Superior Rating- Monologue Performance
• Lyric Williams- Superior Rating- Monologue Performance
• Madeline Schmehl + Lorelei Monahan- Superior Rating- Duet Musical Theatre
• Ash Weigand, Scott Cook, Reign Tomlinson- Superior Rating- Group Musical Theatre
• Scott Cook, Elijah Vernagus, Austin Pordon, Noah Johnson, Bryan Donoghue – Superior Rating- Group Musical Theatre