By Susan Carroll
The Lake Orion Village Council approved the Green’s Park summer 2018 operation recommendations from the Parks & Recreation Advisory Committee at the council’s April 9 meeting.
There was a discussion among the council and input from residents on the fee structure of the park. In 2017, residents were charged an annual rate of $26 and non-residents were charged $52, bringing in $12,500. With the new fee schedule, residents will pay an annual fee of $1 and non-residents $5, for an estimated annual total of $7,000.
“$7,000 isn’t enough money to make much of a difference in the park. We should move away from having a fee structure and remove it,” said Councilmember Steve Watson.
Rosemary Ford, chairperson for the Parks & Recreation Advisory Board responded, “At least it’s some kind of revenue coming in.”
Village resident Stan Ford recommended to open the park and lower the fee to bring more people into the park.
“The motion to support sets the fee schedule and hours, lower fees; we can get a better feel of attendance, and it can be modified at any time,” said Council President Ken VanPortfliet.
The recommendations include new fee structures, park hours and some restrictions.
• The 2018 Summer one-time fee is $1 for village residents and $5 non-residents (including Orion Township residents).
• The park will be open from dawn to dusk.
• Lifeguards will be on duty Monday through Thursday 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. and 11 a.m. – 8 p.m. Friday through Sunday, subject to attendance. All other times the lake is “swim at your own risk.”
• Guests will need to sign in at the entrance or the dock.
• There is no fishing on the dock.
• Fireworks fees for entry to the park during the annual show will be $2 per person or $5 for a family of 5.
• Swim lessons will be $55 for village residents and $75 non-residents.
• Kayak launching is allowed from the south end of park at the designated area from dawn until 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. to dusk.
• Restrooms will be locked from dusk until dawn and video camera surveillance will be implemented.