House, garage fire caused by fireworks

By Jim Newell

Review Editor

Improperly disposed of fireworks caused a house and garage fire at 394 Newton Court near Atwater Street shortly after midnight July 5.

The Orion Township Fire Department responded to the call about 12:30 a.m. for an attached garage fire. The fire also burned the side of the house.

Fire Chief Bob Smith said the homeowner had set off fireworks in the cul-de-sac earlier that evening, disposed of the fireworks in a garbage bin and placed the bin next to the garage.

No one was injured in the fire.

The Oxford Fire Department provided support at the scene.

An investigator from the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office Fire Investigation Unit arrived at the home to examine the scene and determined the fire accidental and most likely caused by improper disposal of fireworks, according to an OSCO incident report.

Sterling Heights and Independence Township also had fireworks related house fires that night, Smith said.

Some of Orion Township’s firefighters provided mutual aid support to Independence Township before the fire occurred on Newton Court.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.